Where does time go? We've had a MANIC few weeks leading up to the end of term and start of the holidays. We have had a round of various house guests, school plays, leaving dos, birthdays and trips which have meant that my feet haven''t touched the floor for quite some time. I am finally enjoying some laid back time at home pottering with the girls. That's the best thing about working in a school - the holidays!!
I am in mid-organising for the next Vintage, Art and Craft fair which is this Saturday from 2-5 at Highbury Church Hall in Cheltenham. Unfortunately I missed the last one at short notice as my 90 year old grandmother had a nasty fall and I went to see her in hospital in Leicester. She's a tough old bird though and despite splitting the back of her head open and breaking her collar bone she's off home tomorrow. The fair apparently went very well and was a big success, so I am glad I can make this one. It is going to be the first Saturday of every month so if you can't make this one, why not try popping over for the next one?! I've been making the odd last few things to sell, including these cake stands.
So, what else has been happening? Well, I have had a fabulous time since the end of term with my lovely sister, Rachel. She came for the first weekend of the holidays with her husband, who went home to work leaving her here for several days. We then drove up to Leicester with the girls and left them at my parents house while we carried on up to Newcastle to her house for a girly few days. I love Newcastle so much and we had fun at Tynemouth market and beach, the VW rally, Gateshead Flower Show, Gibside National Trust for a scone and tea, and I spent some time with Rachel's husband's family too, which was great (Hello Joan!!). A night out on the town was a must, and is such a fab experience. Cheltenham isn't great for nightlife, but Newcastle certainly is!
Tynemouth market is great for a rummage, and look what I turned up (amongst other things!).
Rachel has a love of a proper afternoon tea (which is something I did for her hen do - including taking enough vintage china for 14 people all the way to York!!), and we recreated it here on a slightly smaller scale. Only slightly though, it has to be said! It has to have smoked salmon sandwiches, scones, cream and jam, and other assorted cakes, plus strawberries for the healthy kick! We made raspberry lemonade which was delish and had a very glamourous time!!
While Rachel was here I made her earn her afternoon tea by helping me to set out my stall for Saturday. She did a great job and we had a ball doing it. This is how far we got. I have a tablecloth to go under it all, and some more bits and bobs to go on the stall, including a couple of northern purchases!
1) I hate the colour lilac (especially when teamed with silver), but I love the flowers.
2) My most treasured possession is a bird pie funnel that belonged to my grandmother (not the one mentioned above, my other one). It reminds me of her and what a great cook she was - something to aim for.
3) I love labradors!! Even ones who break my legs.
4) I have been married for 13 years and I met Andy when I was 19 and he was 24. It was pretty much love at first sight and has been the same ever since.
5) The only foodstuff I won't eat is snails because I don't consider them foodstuff! I hate them in the garden so I don't want to see them on a plate. Anything else is fair game!
6) I used to do the football reports on BBC Radio Leicester for a local team (not Leicester City unfortunately!).
7) I used to play the piano to Grade 6 and also the bassoon. I am aiming to take up the piano again, and am about to start learning the ukelele!
So, a random snapshot of me. I won't pass on the awards to anyone specific, but please let me know 7 things about you if you haven't done it already. It's harder than it looks to think of them!
Don't forget to come and say hi if you are in the area on Saturday and fancy a vintage hit - I'll be the one looking hot and bothered!!
PS Thank you for your comment Ali - I can't find out how to reply to you - I'm either being very dim or the link isn't there. Ferrers Art Centre is one of my favourite places to go, and especially now there is the Vintage Bothy too!! The ice cream from the deli in the courtyard is amazing!!